- 1 pound Italian ground turkey sausage – use mild or medium
- 1 medium white onion – diced
- 3 teaspoon minced garlic – 2-3 cloves
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes – cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 113 g pkg instant mashed potatoes or potato flakes * I use Idahoan Buttery Homestyle Instant mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoon light or fat-free grated parmesan cheese
- 1.5 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk *I use Eagle brand as it’s less W-W points*
- 2-4 slices chopped turkey bacon
NOTE: The photos in this recipe card will NOT print unless you set them to print by selecting “recipe image”
In a large frying pan, brown the crumbled Italian sausage over medium-high heat (4-5 minutes)
Drain sausage through a sieve to remove as much excess grease as possible.
Add the cooked ground turkey sausage, chicken broth, onions, potatoes, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes to the slow cooker.
Cook on Low for 4-5 hours or High for about 2 hours(cooking times vary by slow cooker).
Once potatoes are tender and you can put a fork easily through them, stir in kale, milk, instant mashed potatoes (or potato flakes), and Parmesan cheese.
Allow to cook for another 10 minutes on high or until thickened.
If desired, add additional chicken boillion (I added an additional 2-3 tbsp) or salt, and/or parmesan cheese to your taste preference.
However, you may not need to do this- it will depend on how it tastes.
Garnish with chopped turkey bacon and additional crushed red pepper and/or parmesan cheese or black pepper (optional).