Instant Pot 6 qt
Egg Bite Molds
- 4 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate pieces
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp coconut milk or almond milk
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 7 tsp peanut butter 1 tsp per lava cake
- Stevia powdered
- coconut whip cream
Ingredients for coconut whipped cream:
- 1 can coconut milk canned, refrigerated so that it is cold
- 1 tsp Stevia optional
In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine butter and dark chocolate (you can use semi sweet if you’re not concerned about the extra sugar). Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments until the butter and chocolate are melted (stir to see if they’re melting). This will take about 1 minute. 4 tbsp butter , 1/4 cup dark chocolate
Using a bowl, mix together butter and chocolate with an electric mixer.
Add eggs, coconut milk, brown rice flour (you could also use whole wheat flour), salt, honey, baking powder, and cocoa powder (everything except the peanut butter). Mix the batter until smooth. 2 eggs, 4 tbsp coconut milk, 1/3 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tbsp honey, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp cocoa powder
Lightly spray each cup of your silicone egg bite mold with non-stick spray. Once the cups are greased, fill each cup halfway with batter.
Add a teaspoon of peanut butter to the center of each cup, then fill the cups with the remaining cake mix. Each cup should be 3/4 of the way full. 7 tsp peanut butter
Cover the silicone mold with foil and place the mold on a trivet.
Add 1 cup water to the bottom of the Instant Pot insert. Place trivet at the bottom of the pot using the handles to slowly lower the lava cakes into the Instant Pot.
Close the lid and turn the pressure valve to Sealing. Cook the lava cakes on high pressure using the Manual or Pressure Cook button for 5 minutes. (the cooking time might have to be adjusted next time you make these, so take notes on how they come out!)
As soon as the Instant Pot beeps that the timer is done, quick release the pressure and remove the lava cakes from the Instant Pot. Manually releasing the pressure means that you move the pressure valve from Sealing to Venting with your finger or the end of a wooden spoon. Steam will immediately release out of the valve.
While the cakes are still hot, remove the foil and carefully run a spoon around the edge of each cup to loosen the cakes.
Place a plate over the top of the lava cakes and then flip them upside down to remove the cakes.
Sprinkle with powdered stevia (optional) and serve immediately with a side of coconut whipped cream and raspberries. Stevia, coconut whip cream, raspberries
Coconut Whipped Cream Directions:
Open the can of coconut cream and separate the milk from the cream. The cream should be hard and the milk watery. 1 can coconut milk
Whip the coconut cream with a hand mixer for 1-2 minutes until the coconut cream is soft and has a whipped cream like texture.
Store in the fridge until ready to use, but use the same day. The coconut whipped cream will not keep in the fridge for longer than a day.
Ideally, these cakes will pop out of the molds fully intact and have a perfect peanut butter lava center. This doesn’t always happen, and to be honest it take a little bit of practice and getting to know your pot. Here are some tips.
- I highly recommend making these before serving them to company to make sure your cooking times are perfect, as some Instant Pots cook differently. If it’s your first time making these it might be stressful to do with a dinner party going on. Want to get it perfect, but don’t have time to troubleshoot? Use a small Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup in the middle instead of real peanut butter 🙂
- Looking for other options to top these with? Try powdered sugar, caramel sauce, melted chocolate sauce, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or even creamy peanut butter.
- As you can see in my pictures, it’s tricky to get the lava cakes all to turn out perfect. Lots of spray oil helps (I usually use coconut oil spray), as does not waiting for them to cool before you remove them from the molds.
- I like to make these while we are eating dinner. Even if one breaks, a broken chocolate cake looks much more beautiful when it’s right out of the pressure cooker and still warm.
If your Instant Pot lava cakes are too gooey or look as if they’re overcooked, it could be because of several reasons:
- If your lava cakes are too gooey, you should cook them for a minute longer next time you make them. Right now, put the cakes back into the pot and close the lid for 1-2 minutes. Don’t turn the pot on–it should still come to pressure quickly and finish cooking your lava cakes.
- If your lava cakes are overcooked, pull them out of the molds as soon as you can and eat them immediately. Five minutes in the pressure cooker was perfect for my cakes, so I don’t think you’ll have this problem. If this is an issue, reduce the cook time by one minute next time you make them. Remember, each pot is slightly different, and elevation plays a part in this too.
Healthy Eating Plans
21 Day Fix/Portion Fix:
- One cake is considered a treat swap on the Fix.
- Each cake (without toppings) is 7 Points on the 2023 Plan | 8 Blue Plan Points | 8 Green Plan Points | 8 Purple Plan Points – using unsweetened plain almond milk and whole wheat flour instead of brown rice flour.
- One cake is considered a silly carb–track it and see.