This Lightened Up One Pot Chicken Alfredo makes for a super easy dinner-made with boneless, skinless chicken, low point pasta then tossed in a homemade Alfredo cream sauce. This dish comes together so quickly with having only one pot to clean!
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp light butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb Barilla plus pasta or whole wheat pasta
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk or skim milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan
- Optional garnish fresh parsley and bacon crumbles -I like to use a Hormel precooked real bacon crumbles 2 Tbsp for 1 smartpoint, if desired.
- Using a sharp knife, cut chicken breasts into pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spray a large stock pot or deep skillet with non stick cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken pieces and sauté until nicely brown on the outside, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside on a plate. It’s okay if the chicken pieces are still pink on the inside. They get added back with the unsweetened almond milk.
- Using that same pot add the butter and garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until butter melts. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add the pasta.
- Stir occasionally for 2 minutes, or until the pasta just begins to bend and soften.
Cover with a lid. Continue to cook, while stirring occasionally, until the pasta is cooked and al dente (about another 5-7 minutes).
- Meanwhile, warm up the unsweetened almond or skim milk in the microwave for 20-35 seconds- then whisk in cornstarch.
- Pour the unsweetened almond or skim milk mixture and the chicken pieces into the pasta pot.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan and continue stirring until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Remove from heat. The sauce will continue to thicken.
- Garnish with bacon crumbles and fresh parsley, if desired. Add additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- If you’re not if serving immediately, the sauce will be become thicker and you may add some milk to thin it out.
Makes 8 ( 1 1/3 cup) servings
7 Points® per serving
- Let the pasta completely cool, then store leftovers in an airtight storage container in the fridge for up to 5 days. I do not recommend freezing this particular recipe since it contains dairy and can curd upon thawing.
Smartpoints: GREEN: 8 smartpoints per serving BLUE: 7 smartpoints per serving PURPLE: 2 smartpoints per serving if using whole wheat pasta
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 326TOTAL FAT: 9gSATURATED FAT: 1gCHOLESTEROL: 35mgSODIUM: 204mgCARBOHYDRATES: 40gNET CARBOHYDRATES: 36gFIBER: 4gSUGAR: 1gPROTEIN: 33g