Certainly! Here’s a recipe for Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken that can be adapted to fit a W/W plan. Keep in mind that the point values may vary depending on the specific ingredients and serving sizes you use, so it’s a good idea to calculate the points based on your own ingredients and portions.
For the chicken:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Cooking spray
For the sweet and sour sauce:
- 1/2 cup reduced-sugar ketchup
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar substitute (e.g., erythritol or Stevia)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the vegetables:
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 small onion, cut into chunks
- 1 cup pineapple chunks (fresh or canned in juice, drained)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Place the cornstarch in a shallow dish and the beaten eggs in another shallow dish.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the cornstarch, coating it evenly, then dip it into the beaten eggs.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and spray it with cooking spray.
- Add the coated chicken pieces to the skillet and cook until they are browned and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per side. You may need to do this in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Remove the cooked chicken and set it aside.
- In a separate saucepan, combine all the sweet and sour sauce ingredients: ketchup, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar substitute, minced garlic, grated ginger, water, and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens, which should take about 3-4 minutes. Once it thickens, remove it from heat.
- In a large baking dish, combine the cooked chicken, bell peppers, onion, and pineapple chunks. Pour the sweet and sour sauce over the top and gently toss to coat everything evenly.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through, and the vegetables are tender.
- Serve your Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken over steamed rice or cauliflower rice for a lower-carb option. You can garnish it with chopped green onions or sesame seeds if desired.
Remember to calculate the W/W points based on the specific products and serving sizes you use, as the point values can vary. Enjoy your delicious, healthier sweet and sour chicken!