This post will provide ideas for creatively display cutting boards in the kitchen. Cutting boards are not only functional items, but also unique works of art that can be used to enhance the design and organization of your kitchen. Instead of hiding cutting boards in drawers or cabinets, display them as wall or counter art pieces.
This is a great way to free up counter space and add a touch of personality to your culinary space. Whether you have a collection of antique, handcrafted, or unique cutting boards, or you’re just starting to build one, displaying them is a great way to showcase your style and inspire your cooking.
Additionally, cutting boards come in a variety of shapes, sizes, materials, and colors, and can be paired with other kitchen items like pizza peels and wooden bowls for a unique display.
Should You Leave the Cutting Board on the Counter?
It is generally recommended to store cutting boards off the counter, as they can become a breeding ground for bacteria if left on the counter for extended periods of time. It is also a good idea to clean and sanitize cutting boards after each use to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
What Do You Need to Display Your Cutting Boards?
To display cutting boards, you will need a way to securely hold the cutting boards in place for viewing. This can be done using a variety of methods such as:
- Using plate stands or easels to prop the cutting boards up on a table or counter
- Hanging the cutting boards on a wall using a hanging rack or hooks
- Using a display case or cabinet specifically designed for displaying cutting boards
Additionally, you may want to consider lighting to highlight the cutting boards and make them more visible.
Types of Cutting Boards
There are several types of cutting boards available:
Wooden cutting boards:
These are traditional and are made from hardwoods such as maple, cherry, and walnut. They are durable and have natural antimicrobial properties.
Bamboo cutting boards:
These are eco-friendly and are made from a renewable resource. They are lightweight and have similar properties to wooden cutting boards.
Plastic cutting boards:
These are made from a variety of materials, including polyethylene and polypropylene. They are easy to clean and are dishwasher safe. However, plastic cutting boards can dull knives faster and can get scratches over time.
Glass cutting boards:
These are made from tempered glass and are heat-resistant. They are durable and easy to clean. However, they can be heavy and can dull knives faster.
Composite cutting boards:
These are made from a combination of materials, such as bamboo and plastic. They are durable and easy to clean.
6 Ways to Display Cutting Boards on a kitchen Counter
There are several ways to display cutting boards on a kitchen counter:
Use plate stands or easels:
These are small, inexpensive holders that can prop the cutting board up on a counter. They come in various sizes and styles to fit different cutting board sizes.
- Plate stands are designed to hold and display plates, but they can also be used to hold and display cutting boards.
- To display your cutting boards using plate stands, you first need to purchase plate stands that are large enough to hold your cutting boards.
- Once you have your plate stands, place them on your kitchen counter in a convenient location, such as near your stove or sink.
- Then, place your cutting boards on the plate stands, arranging them in a way that makes them easy to access and grab when you need them.
- Make sure that the plate stands are stable and won’t tip over, especially if you have heavy cutting boards.
Use a cutting board rack:
These are specifically designed to hold cutting boards and can be placed on a counter or mounted on a wall. They come in a variety of sizes and can hold multiple cutting boards.
- To display your cutting boards on a kitchen counter using a cutting board rack, you first need to purchase a rack that is suitable for your space and the number of cutting boards you have.
- These racks can be found in various styles and materials such as wood, metal, or plastic.
- Once you have your rack, place it on your kitchen counter in a convenient location, such as near your stove or sink.
- Then, place your cutting boards on the rack, arranging them in a way that makes them easy to access and grab when you need them.
- Make sure that the cutting board rack is stable and won’t tip over, especially if you have heavy cutting boards.
Use a magnetic knife strip:
Some cutting boards are made from wood or bamboo and have a built-in magnet. These cutting boards can be hung on a magnetic knife strip, which can be attached to a wall or under a cabinet.
- To display your cutting boards using a magnetic knife strip, you first need to purchase or install a magnetic knife strip on a wall in your kitchen.
- Once the magnetic knife strip is installed, use magnets to hold the cutting boards.
- This is a great way to keep the cutting boards out of the way while still keeping them easily accessible.
Hang them on a wall-mounted rack:
- To hang your cutting boards on a wall-mounted rack, you first need to purchase or install a wall-mounted rack in your kitchen.
- These racks can be found in various styles and materials such as wood, metal or plastic.
- Then, you will need to purchase S-hooks to hang your cutting boards.
- Once the rack is installed, use the S-hooks to hang your cutting boards on the rack.
- You can arrange them in any order you like, but make sure they are hanging securely and not too close to each other.
- This method is a space-saving method, it keeps the cutting boards easily accessible and also adds an aesthetic touch to the kitchen wall.
Use a utensil holder:
A Utensil holder used to hold cutting boards. This is a simple and inexpensive option.
- Some utensil holders have large compartments that can accommodate cutting boards.
- To display your cutting boards using a utensil holder, you first need to purchase a utensil holder that has compartments large enough to hold your cutting boards.
- Once you have your utensil holder, place it on your kitchen counter in a convenient location, such as near your stove or sink.
- Then, place your cutting boards in the compartments.
- Make sure that the utensil holder is stable and won’t tip over, especially if you have heavy cutting boards.
Use a countertop rack:
This is a rack specifically designed to hold cutting boards and other kitchen items on a countertop. It can be made of wood, metal, or plastic and can hold multiple cutting boards.
- You can also use a countertop stand or holder to display your cutting boards.
- You can purchase a stand or holder specifically designed for cutting boards or use a stand or holder that is not specific to cutting boards.
- Once you have your stand or holder, place it on your kitchen counter in a convenient location, such as near your stove or sink.
- Then, place your cutting boards on the stand or in the holder.
- Make sure that the stand or holder is stable and won’t tip over, especially if you have heavy cutting boards.
You May Also Interested:
- How to Install Undermount kitchen Sink
- How to Decorate a kitchen Island
- What is a Scratch kitchen
- How to Clean Painted kitchen Cabinets
How to Maintain a Stunning Cutting Board Display
To maintain a stunning cutting board display, consider the following tips:
- Regularly clean and oil the cutting boards to keep them in good condition.
- Arrange the cutting boards in a visually pleasing way, such as by size or color.
- Use a display stand or holder to elevate the cutting boards and showcase them.
- Rotate the cutting boards occasionally to ensure even wear and tear.
- Consider adding other elements to the display, such as knives or herbs, to make it more interesting.
- Keep the cutting boards away from direct sunlight or heat sources, as this can cause warping or cracking.
- Keep cutting boards dry after use to avoid bacteria growth.
- Regularly check cutting boards for any cracks or damage and replace them if necessary.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Should I wash my cutting board after every use?
Yes, it is recommended to wash your cutting board after every use to prevent the buildup of bacteria and cross-contamination of different types of foods. It is especially important to wash your cutting board thoroughly after cutting raw meat, poultry, or fish, as these foods can contain harmful bacteria that can cause food poisoning.
Use warm soapy water and sanitize with a solution of 1 tablespoon of chlorine bleach per gallon of water, or use a commercial sanitizer. Rinse the cutting board with hot water and dry it with a clean towel or let it air dry.
Why do you put a towel under a cutting board?
Putting a towel under a cutting board serves several purposes:
Stability: A towel provides a non-slip surface, which helps to keep the cutting board stable while you are cutting, chopping, or slicing. This can help prevent accidents and make it easier to work with the cutting board.
Protection: A towel can also protect your countertops or other surfaces from scratches or other damage caused by the cutting board.
Absorption: A towel can also help absorb any liquids that may be released from the food you are cutting, which can help keep your countertops clean and prevent cross-contamination of different types of foods.
Insulation: A towel can also provide insulation, which can help to prevent heat transfer from the cutting board to the surface underneath.
What is the best surface for a cutting board?
The best surface for a cutting board is one that is durable, non-porous, and easy to clean. Hardwoods like maple and bamboo, as well as plastic and composite materials, are all commonly used for cutting boards and are considered to be good options. Avoid using materials that can absorb liquids or bacteria, like softwoods or untreated end-grain butcher blocks.
What is the best oil for wood cutting boards?
The best oil for wood cutting boards is a food-grade mineral oil. It is colorless, odorless, and tasteless, making it safe to use on cutting boards that will come into contact with food. It is also a liquid oil that can be easily applied and will not become rancid like some other oils. Additionally, mineral oil is relatively inexpensive and can be found at most grocery and home improvement stores. Other options include:
- Boos Block Cream (contains mineral oil, beeswax, and carnauba wax)
- Walrus Oil Cutting Board Oil (a blend of food-grade mineral oil, beeswax, and carnauba wax)
- Howard Butcher Block Conditioner (contains mineral oil and beeswax)
Can I use Vaseline on my cutting board?
It is not recommended to use Vaseline on a cutting board as it is not food safe. Cutting boards are used for preparing food and Vaseline is not intended for use in food preparation. It is best to use a food-safe oil or mineral oil to protect and maintain the condition of your cutting board.
Display cutting boards can be a stylish and functional addition to a kitchen counter. They can be used as a decorative element and also as a practical surface for food preparation. However, it is important to ensure that the cutting board is made of a durable and food-safe material, such as wood or bamboo.
It is also important to properly clean and maintain the cutting board to ensure that it remains safe for food preparation. It is also recommended to have multiple cutting boards to keep raw meats separate from other food items.