Skip Chinese take-out and make this Kung Pao Chicken right at home! This dish is made with stir-fried chicken, fresh veggies, and roasted peanuts. It’s easy to make and it’s sure to become a family favorite!
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1½ Tbsp white granulated sweetener or sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, white and green parts, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 10 dried red chili peppers
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup of the soy sauce, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, and sweetener, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ¼ cup of soy sauce and cornstarch, until smooth. Add the chicken and toss to coat.
- In a large deep skillet heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil over medium to high heat; cook the chicken until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken pieces over and repeat on the other side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil in the same skillet over medium heat.
- Add bell peppers and cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Then add the green onions, ginger, garlic, and dried chili peppers, cook for another 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and add the rice vinegar and soy sauce, stir to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, and cook until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in dry peanuts.Serve over rice, if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Makes 5 ( 1 cup) servings
4 W/W Points® per serving
Smart.points: GREEN: 5 Smart.points per serving BLUE/PURPLE: 4 smart/points per serving
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 318TOTAL FAT: 14gSATURATED FAT: 3gCHOLESTEROL: 132mgSODIUM: 785mgCARBOHYDRATES: 14gNET CARBOHYDRATES: 11gFIBER: 3gSUGAR: 5gPROTEIN: 46g